Here are some things I started doing to help me improve my character development skills, they may help someone else out there !
Ways to improve character development
1) Write mini bio’s about your characters.
2) Write poetry in character or about your characters.
3) Write short stories in character or about your characters.
4) Think of random scenarios and then throw your characters in them and write how they would react in this particular situation
4a) To quote the late great Kurt Vonnegut- “Be a sadist, No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful
things happen to them- in order for the reader to see what they are made of.”
5) Finally be a parent to your characters, because of course they are your creation. 🙂